Hairlationship- D’Lallys

want dominion over my hair before I turn to the woman who grew snakes from her head because I can’t imagine life with my natural hair, anymore. I couldn’t afford my bills and the hairdresser on a triweekly basis. OK maybe that’s a bit extreme but I have become so tender headed that I don’t know how to imagine myself with better hair so

Yes, I went back. Back to the creamy crack.... or maybe it’s not too late.

Never mind... definitely too late

I permed my hair again only because.... Wait

I wanted this change because I hate my hair.... I can’t believe I said that out loud( well technically in writing and not out loud)


I try not to say my truths out loud

But I need my hair to reflect how I’m feeling inside and out..maybe that’s why it won’t grow. 


Anyways you get into little fits or arguments with people over small things and that’s where your personality comes out. Sometimes it’s magical. Sometimes it’s over stupid shit sometimes I wish they offered tequila shots at the hair salons because you never know what your going to look like when you come out.


Back in the day there was a guy who would sell empanadas to the women in the hair salon and tell all the women how beautiful they were.  Where are you, come back. That’s part of the reason I enjoyed coming to this place.

Maybe that’s some fairytale stuff but it happened.


Why do I find myself feeling sorry for my thoughts and apologizing to people who don’t even deserve it. The hair products they use here used to be good, this last concoction is not the greatest. I can tell the lady doing my hair doesn’t like the ideas of a perm. She’s frowning wish she had just said “don’t do it”.

They had an attitude with me walking into the shop, I’ve been coming to this place since I was 16. Over 15 years,  I only get my hair done once in a while.  The staff seemed surprised that I hit an appointment that soon,  La Niña con Pello Negra tiene un attitude con migo. Yo no say, por Que. I guess they can only see as deep as the skin goes, some people have limited lenses. 

I’m Jamaican born Indian, known as coolie. But I have more Africance in me from my Ghanaian side of the family. Interesting enough my grandmother had long beautiful soft hair.  Indian roots run deep. I had always associated dark skin with rough hair but nothing like Indian culture to shake that reality up for you. What’s it going to take for have been a regular to get some hair appreciation, hair hate is real. Some women have done ugly things toward women with good hair. My X husband gave away all of my hair products, it took me 30 years to perfect my hair regimen and now I have to start from scratch. They’re jealous of my sons hair too, traditionally his hair is supposed to grow until he’s 6 years old. He’s robbed my son of everything Jamaican

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I never got over you

Unopened Letters

Foul play